Tuesday 1 May 2012

Manic Pixie Dream Girl

For those of you who aren't familiar with the manic pixie dream girl, they are pretty, whimsical, alternative 'free spirits' who haunt the dreams of any straight male who even remotely enjoys The Pixies. They have been depicted in movies like Garden State, Almost Famous and 500 Days of Summer as sweet and advetureous girls who like cool things and make boys that watch these movies wish there was such a girl in real life. I used to fall into this trap too but then I realised there are people like this in real life and they are really annoying. Pretty, wears nice clothes, listens to good music, neurotic. I've met plenty of people like that, yet if in real life someone said "Ringo is the most important member of The Beatles", I wouldn't be thinking about how quirky and different they were because life doesn't have the ability to alter your mood by playing The Shins in the background. I would be thinking, 'no, that is an incredibly stupid thing to say because he his quite obviously not'. Yet when this is said on 500 Days of Summer the viewer is thinking what it would be like to live with her in a cottage on a hill with horses and old things and pretty dresses and she would have a face. So don't worry if you can't get a girl like this because if you could, you would grow to hate her. Imagine every attempt at a normal conversation changing into 'but what if the red I see isn't the same as the red you see?'. Oh my you are so thoughtful, you should write philosophy, and tell me again about how we are spiritually connected to the lettuce that grows in my garden. Fuck you, Zooey Deschanel.

2 comments:

  1. so what happened was 2 seperate people on ok cupid compared me with Z.D. and i wish i had read this before now, so that i could link it to them, as you have articulated my thoughts flawlessly

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually scratch that i just wish i were somebody who doesn't know ok cupid exists and who can't tell the difference btw zooey deschanel and katy perry

    ReplyDelete