Thursday 17 May 2012

Facebook

This post is triggered by a picture I saw on Facebook of a guy in
my honors class. In it, he is shaking hands with Hillary Clinton. Or,
as you may know her, the most powerful woman in the world.
From some kind of student exchange thing (I don't really know)
he was allowed to meet her and then interview her. So, it's a pretty
amazing picture to have of yourself.
Then I saw  that down the bottom that the picture that it had 15 likes.
15 likes!? Really Facebook? Is that all that picture is worth to you?!
That doesn't impress you?! I could post a picture of a turd and get
more than 15 likes. Well, maybe not, but Von Klap probably could
and probably have.  To put this in perspective, I only had to go to the
last post of my flatmate Eamonn to see that he got 15 likes for a picture
of his face after having shaved while pictures of my flatmate Alice with
a cat can fetch over 40, especially if she adds a caption such as 'pat pat
da cat'. Now I know that there a more important things in life than
facebook likes but a lot of people think of it as a new measure of worth.
If pretty much everyone you know uses Facebook then 'liking' is like
democratically calculating what is better from a bunch of completely
unrelated things e.g.: (unfunny meme < annoucing you got a new job) or
(shaving = Hillary Clinton)

I don't like this.

Oh man, just found out he has almost 700 friends. Really, people on
facebook? Really?!

1 comment: