Thursday 24 May 2012

University

It is now my fourth year at university and I am really over it. Especially 
now that I am doing history honours, I feel like everything I am learning 
just seems so pointless in the scheme of things. All of the essay questions
for my Gender and Empire course have the same answer, 'no one gives
a fuck.' No one in their everyday routine thinks 'how can I go to the 
supermarket without knowing if there is a particular pattern of gender 
relations that arise on ‘resource frontiers’ rather than other kinds of 
‘colonial frontiers’?' Now you might be thinking that putting 'gender' into
an in depth and theoretical analysis of empire might be interesting. You
would be wrong. As I go on in honours, I keep thinking how academia
exists in it's own little bubble and for the most part, has little interaction
with the rest of the world. And so I come to the conclusion that I always
come to when I am unhappy with my life: I need to go and live on a farm,
listen to country music and hang with a border collie. I think I also want
to eat whitebait but i'm not sure. I like that they are small because that
means you are consuming more souls when you eat them. I can play
the Country Calender theme on guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment