Sunday 13 May 2012

Friends

Often when I meet someone that I get along with really well 
there is a common formula that occurs. First, I meet the person 
and am infatuated by them. I will think they are the most 
perfect person ever because I will only look for the good things. 
My internal monologue is something like: 'Oh man, this person 
is so witty and intelligent. They like the Beatles? I like the 
Beatles! They have exactly the same music taste as me. 
They've read the Secret History? No f-ing way. They find 
Black Books funny? This is getting creepy now. How did 
I manage to find my future best friend here tonight?' The second 
stage is when the person doesn't live up to my unreasonably 
high expectations and I either start liking them slightly less or 
become annoyed by them. Internal monologue changes to:
'Your voice is louder than I remember. How do you not know 
about this obscure historical event that i'm studying? You led 
me to believe you knew everything. I understand all of the words
you are using right now but they don't really make sense in that
sentence. Yeah, you have Bright Eyes on your ipod but it's 
overshadowed by all the Jay-Z on there.' After a while I remember
that I'm not perfect and that everyone has faults and that the
person in question is probably a nice, interesting person and so start 
liking them again. I call this the Obama effect. In saying this, there 
are some people who don't fail my unrealistically high expectations 
and I continue to idolize. I just read this back and I sound pretty
judgmental. 

4 comments:

  1. I want to know who succeeds in meeting your unfairly high standards. Text me the goss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty worried about my lack of obscure historical knowledge now. Never letting you look at my iPod either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Na don't worry. This doesn't apply to you guys

    ReplyDelete