Tuesday 29 November 2011

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

I'm really into the Confucian idea of self-betterment. The idea that
a person should train themselves in many different areas in order
to become a better person. I have been thinking this way for a while
now but it's nice discover that ancient Chinese philosophers were
equally worried about being shit people. I always feel like I need
to read more to become more knowledgeable, exercise more to
become fitter and eat better to become more healthy and that in
doing these things, I am becoming a generally better person. This
also involves tweaking my personality when I feel like I need to be
nicer or more extroverted. I think that people buy nice things for
much the same reason. Nice clothes, cars and iPads are all things
that people buy in order to look cooler or more accomplished to
the people around them. This is obviously a more shallow way in
which to seem like a better person and i'd like to think that I can
see through it. For example, i'd be more impressed at someone
having developed a useless skill then having bought a new item
of clothing (can solve a rubix cube vs. having a new jacket). My
only resolution at new years will be 'become a lot better in every
way.'

No comments:

Post a Comment